Wednesday, June 23, 2004

On Invention

"When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it." (A A Milne)

Sometimes when trying to invent something the hardest part is finding something that no one else has invented yet. I find that my ideas are good ideas only they come too late, Often my ideas come out just as someone else with the same idea gets it to market. It seems to be about 2 weeks between the time I have an idea and when I see it advertised on TV. The longest was what I wanted as my senior project, a backup sensor for Mini-vans and SUVs, the teachers said it was impossible, a year and a half later it was introduced on Ford Explorers, I believe. My wife's father worked for Ford so it seemed to have been in development for nearly 5 years. Oh well, there is some quote about people who say things can't be done that would be appropriate right about here.

It doesn't happen only to me. We have all seen a bunch of summer movies that are almost identical. Recently on the Food Channel I have seen ads for things like Wonder Whisk and Pasta Pot or whatever they are called and there are two of each of these called by different names and there must be some differences between them since different companies make them. But I noticed sometimes the ads run consecutively and they are different.

Does it matter that an idea is unique. I am beginning to think that is not very important. Just look at the Yellow Pages, rare is the section that doesn't have at least a few competitors in each category and that is in just one or two small cities it gets worse in big cities. You need to be the same but different.

No comments: