Monday, October 08, 2007

Your Outboard Brain Knows All

Your Outboard Brain Knows All : "My point is that the cyborg future is here. Almost without noticing it, we've outsourced important peripheral brain functions to the silicon around us."

This has been an issue for a long time. Heck the ancient Greeks were decrying writing as the youth were noticed to not remember as much as their illiterate forbearers. But then without writing we would never have found this. I love the internet and all but I still save a lot of stuff I feel as important to my harddrive as .pdf files so I have access for al those times I don't have access.

I often go to the local library for some time away from the desk and their internet access is not very good but I still have plenty of material with me as well as all the books around me. It is a good sized library but it is limited and I have a lot of stuff on my computer they just don't have in or at all.

It is funny though, in college my dorm room had 6 of us in science and engineering and we constantly had people coming over for topical help. I remember one person telling us that "You've forgotten more math then I've ever learned."

Now the Internet is a Knowledge Multiplier that is just amazing. My biggest issue is that it is too easy to get lost in the fun.

No comments: