Thursday, March 12, 2009

Home Made Chicken Soup from Scratch

We have colds right now and are not feeling very well. So I made some homemade chicken stock and chicken soup. Yesterday I cooked up the stock.

I took a couple of chicken backs and a couple of pounds of chicken wings and tossed them in the big pot with a moir poix and a handful of garlic and peppercorns. That simmered for 6 hours then cooled it in the sink with lots of cool water to get it out of the danger zone quickly. I then pulled out all the chunkys and got rid of those. The meat and vegetables had given their all and were dead again. I chilled the stock over night. It came out beautifully like chicken jello and skimmed off the fat and froze that for roux making later.

I finely diced up another moir poix and lots of garlic and sauteed that to get a little flavor on it and some parsley and marjoram. I also sauteed a couple of chicken breasts and diced them and returned them to the pot with everything else. I used about 1.5 cups of the stock and enough water to cover everything. I also added some spinach and ricotta raviolinni to round it all out. My wife says it completely blows Campbells and Progresso out of the water and was even better then Momma used to make. It certainly seemed to take the edge off for me.

No comments: