Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Science of Nascar - Stock Car Racing - Physics - Aerodynamics - New York Times

Science of Nascar - Stock Car Racing - Physics - Aerodynamics - New York Times: "“It started when six cars were going around the turn, and one of them suddenly started wiggling and went into the wall for no apparent reason,” she recalled. “It was like spontaneous combustion. As a scientist, you look at that and say, ‘There has to be a reason.’ It drove me nuts because I couldn’t explain it. I felt as if I was in a different universe.”"

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it) but 'That's funny...' Isaac Asimov


It is one of those ideas that looks great on paper but more often then not in reality it falls flat, I knew a few teachers that tried to "make it real" sometimes it worked just fine but other times the effect was so pathetically bad it was embarrassing. I had a HS English teacher that tried using a jive translation of Romeo and Juliet that was as foreign to us as the original was, actually more foreign to me since I had read a King James Bible and was somewhat familiar with the language that Shakespeare used, that was sad.

No comments: